Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Scoop

Okay, so I will finally post about the exciting events of Madox's birth. This post is going to be full of details, so it will probably be very long, but I want to write down everything that I remember so I can have it in the future.
I woke up on Wednesday Nov. 12 fully expecting to go to work. I had a morning routine of getting up going potty (I was pregnant) and then getting my breakfast and going to eat it in my front room on my couch. Well, after getting my cereal I went to sit down on my couch and it felt like I peed my pants...thinking to myself, I swear I just went to the bathroom, did I really just pee my pants? So, I immediately called Leah (it's 7:15am) and asked her what it felt like when your water breaks...I explained my situation and she told me to go to the hospital. Thinking that she was crazy I decided to just continue eating my cereal (I was hungry), but after sitting down and feeling some more wetness (not the greatest feeling) I decided that I had better call Brian and tell him that I think my water broke. Now the water is just a flowin', so I get in the shower and start making my calls. First, Brian didn't answer, so I send him a text telling him to call me asap as my water just broke. Then I call Brian's mom (they were driving to Arizona that day to visit Brian's brother) I had to tell her not to go until after I had the baby. While on the phone with her Brian calls me. I tell him the news (I can tell he's freaking out) he says he'll leave work right then, but he's in Salt Lake and it's morning traffic, so it will probably take him awhile to get home. I say that's fine because I wasn't in any pain, I just had water spurting from the fountain of youth! I then call my mom and let her know what's going on. I proceed to take a shower and get ready...with a full freakin' towel between my legs...it's really coming out! By the time Brian gets home the towel and my unders are soked through and I have to change...annoying! I was extremely calm and thought Brian needed a hair cut (I wanted him to look good in pictures) he boldly told me NO, that we needed to get to the hospital.
After getting checked in at the hospital (9:30am) the nurse had to check to see if it was my amniotic fluid that was flowing freely or just some other liquid (not quite sure what other liquid) they did this because I was only dialated at a 2 and I wasn't having any steady contractions (so I thought) and they didn't want to induce labor since I was only 37 weeks until they new for certain that it was amniotic fluid. The first test failed (the nurse said she was 95% sure, but she had to be positive to give my pitocin) she said she would wait for 1 hour and come and check again. The next time she checked it was positive, meanwhile I was having good contractions, but the still weren't regular so they hooked me up to some pitocin and put the monitor on (they actually did this when I got there).
Long story short, I didn't feel any contractions what so ever, so around 5:30pm I was dialated to an 8 the nurse asked me if I wanted an epidural. I told her I did because I didn't want to chance all of the sudden having pain, so they gave me the epidural and 1/2 hour later I was fully dialated, but little Mad was posterior (hence the reason I was dialating so slowly), so the dr. stuck his lovely hand up there to try to turn him and then we had to wait...finally the dr. determined that he flipped on his own and to start pushing. I started pushing at 7pm and little Mad was born at 8:33 and 54 seconds...I know the time so well because everyone that was there (which were my mom, leah, brian, brian's mom, brian's sister Marianne, and my sister in law Katie) wrote on the white board their guess on the time and weight that he would be. And Brian guessed the time right on, so that's why I remember it so well. We also had Dr. Broberg guess his weight, which he guessed was going to be 7lbs 10 oz. Finally after 1 1/2 hours of pushing we welcomed our little guy into the world. Right when he came out Dr. Broberg said, this is not a 7 lb. baby! I was so surprised to find out that he weighed 9 lbs. I was 8 lbs and Brian was only 6, so I thought we would have an average sized baby and being 3 weeks early, I thought for sure he would be small...guess not!

Anyway, sorry for the boring post, this is more for my records!

A few things that were interesting...after his head came out Dr. Broberg said this is going to be a very tight squeeze...and all of a sudden there was a nurse that jumped on top of my and started pushing on my pelvis...apparently this widens your pelvis??? I had never seen this nurse and I'm not quite sure where she even came from.
Madox was all twisted...Brian said he looked like a cork screw!
His umbilical cord was the biggest that the Dr. had ever seen!
He had to have a monitor put on the top of his head because his heart rate kept dipping with every push.
He had jaundice, so we had to go home with the bili bed and blanket and he had to be on those for 3 days...I hated it!

8 comments:

Cameron Family said...

Hey I loved the story! Now we just need more pics of your little guy! I am sure tat he is changing all ready!

{Erica} said...

loved reading your story skater! I can't believe you're a mommy. I know you'll be an awesome one! I love you!

Emilie Johansen said...

congratulations, that is so fun. He is so cute. Hope all is going well with him at home.

whitneyingram said...

Congrats! I think the best part is that you texted your husband that your water broke. So casual. Good for you for keeping calm. I would be freaking out.

Glad all went well. Enjoy your little one!

{Erica} said...

Hey....so I need your mailing address...email me ASAP

erica.grover@gmail.com

Brittany said...

Yeah for birth stories!! I hated Amelia's bili blanket too, she had it for a week. What a pain. Keep posting pics, he's adorable!

{Erica} said...

can you please please please post pics of the little man?

Shauna said...

Katie, I found your blog through a friend of a friend. Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate you on your new little addition! Both of my kids had jaundice and they both had to have the bili blanket for 2 weeks. I know, it's very annoying! You can't go anywhere! Madox is such a cutie.